Tuesday 22 April 2014

        Last Monday, there was a slam poet at our school all day. We were lucky enough to go see him during our English class last block. Slam poetry is a type of competitive poetry where the speaker puts his feelings/experiences into words and recites the poem fast. Our speakers name was Zack Jackson and he came from a Native background. Everybody in the audience seemed to really enjoy his performance.
        Zack recited a few poems that reflected his darker past. Before he came, I never knew or understood what slam poetry was. However, after seeing him, I enjoyed it very much. I really liked how before he started reciting his poems, he tried to connect and engage with all the teenagers in the room. He talked about things such as games that are popular, spoke the way teenagers do instead of speaking formally, and kept making jokes. Once Zack got to his poems, he was very good at speaking quickly, but clearly, and using many hand gestures. His hand gestures and different tones of voice really kept me interested and focused on his poetry. You could hear the emotion through his voice and he spoke with such description, you could even imagine everything he was talking about without having to see it. Since I didn't know anything about slam poetry, I was not sure what to expect. However, the friends I talked to that went to listen to Zack before me all gave me very positive reviews and said he was very good, which made me look forward to seeing him. In the end I ended up really liking his poems. If Zack or any other slam poet came to our school again, I would definitely like to go see it again because I ended up really liking slam poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment